Friday, September 5, 2014

COCK-A-DOODLE-DOO


I’m a rooster, according to the Chinese zodiac charts. This only recently occurred to me, because for some reason the memory of an old napkin ring, which I haven’t seen or even thought of for decades, surfaced. Not, in fact, a ring but a triangle. It was silver, my name was engraved on it, and on the apex stood a rooster. It would have been a christening present and the significance of the rooster came back to me. I was born in Japan in one of the years of the rooster. So I googled it.

We roosters are fine-feathered (we like loud, fancy clothes), observant (beady-eyed), outspoken (stamp on people’s toes), enjoy the limelight (and become cranky if we don’t get it), hold the stage on all possible occasions (and expect everyone to pay attention) and we talk a lot. We can brag for Africa and are forever banging on about our accomplishments, which annoys the dickens out of those who can’t escape. Oooops.

Roosters are hard-working and multi-talented – hell, we can do anything if we put our minds to it.  We are active, amusing, charming, attractive and beautiful. Yes, that’s what it says here, I’m only repeating what it says, and anyway I was the most beautiful baby in the world. Promises, promises … 

Roosters are rarely sick but we can be sensitive and get moody and stressed at times. Not surprising, having to be all the above, all the time, there’s so much to live up to. We apparently enjoy sports such as hiking (ha, what do they know!) and swimming (yep, can do that, mother made sure of it). We grow up to be newsreaders, sales persons, restaurant owners, hairdressers, public relations officers, farmers, athletes, teachers, waiters, journalists, travel writers, dentists, surgeons, soldiers, firemen, security guards, and police officers.

Ah well, it’s too late for all that now. I clearly made the wrong choices, and anyway I hardly recognise myself in all that up there. What about predictions for the future? Oh goodie, new admirers are lining up – hope they can dance, like to mow lawns and are handy with hammers. But there’s a warning too: given a choice, I’m advised to lean more towards business and career rather than romance. Hmmm.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment