Thursday, November 6, 2014

DEAR CUSTOMER SERVICE PERSON …


… My name is Joan Curry and I have a problem …  Yes indeed, Tracey, I hope you can help me, and this is not the first time I’ve called … No I can’t remember who I spoke to the last time … I think it was in October, round about the … Very well, I’ll tell you what the problem is.  You see, I bought a … um, date of birth is 21st of February, nineteen mumble  … as I was saying I bought … address? 92 Something Street – and … oh for heaven’s sake, the phone number is 123-456-7808. Where was I? Three months ago I bought this Wunda-Washa-Moppa from you and charged it to my account … no, no, the product is fine, so far anyway … Yes, I do have an account with you … yes, I do have my customer number handy, it’s 9876XY34.

The problem, Tracey, is that I paid the full amount of $170.00 for the Wunda-Washa-Moppa way back in September, when you sent me the first account… no, not by cheque, I paid on-line and on time … yes do that, look it up on your computer, because we’ll get along a whole lot better if you have … I can’t help what it says there, Tracey, I assure you that I paid $170 and I can prove it … That’s why I’m ringing you, I know your computer says I paid you $2.86 because that’s what it says here on the statement I’ve just received from you – the third statement by the way, this is getting ridiculous – it says $2.86 paid, balance outstanding = $167.14. That adds up to $170.00 which is what I paid.  What I want to know is, where has the rest of my payment gone?

Excuse me – as far as I know I have never paid anyone $2.86, especially on-line. I might be a silly old chook, and I might one day slip the decimal point to one side or the other of the figure by accident and pay $17.00 or $1700.00 instead of $170.00. And if I did that I would be deeply embarrassed and fix the error as soon as I could.  But never in a million years would I pay $2.86 when I’m trying to pay $170.00.

Yes I’ve checked my bank statement on-line and that confirms what I’ve said. What do you want – a screen-shot? … I have rung the bank. They have not made a mistake, and they are willing to send you a confirmation of payment. Is there any way to talk to a person with enough clout to deal with what is wrong here?

No comments:

Post a Comment